Photo Photo Photo Photo Photo Photo Photo
HomeNew Zealand /  FAQ's

F.A.Q.'s about Fly Fishing in New Zealand

Q: What equipment do I bring?
A: See the Equipment page

Q: Do I need waders?
A: Yes and no.  Bring Gore-tex (breathable) waders and comfortable wading boots.  Your other option is wet wading. Wet wading with boots and long underwear is common.

Q: Do I need to be a good caster to fish in New Zealand?
A: It is encouraged to have a fair level of experience

Q: What kind of trout should I expect to catch?
A: Rainbow trout and Brown trout

Q: Do I need a fishing license?
A: Yes, but we provide it.  The required fishing license is bundled into all packages.

Q: What if my equipment fails?
A: We always have back-up equipment.

Q: Do I need flies, terminal tackle, or rods?
A: Yes.  (see Equipment page)

Q: Do I need to bring a net?
A: No.

Q: Do I need to be in good physical condition?
A: The bush in New Zealand is very rough, so it depends on which package you select.  You should notify Crikey Creek Guiding of any medical conditions.

Q: How long is the flight?
A: 14 hours from Los Angeles to Nelson New Zealand. 20 hours from New York to Nelson New Zealand. (An additional 5-6 hours travel time for layovers)

Q: Do I need a passport?
A: Yes.

Q: Do I need travel vaccinations?
A: No.  However, if you are planning on visiting other South Pacific islands it is recommended.

Q: Is there options other than fishing with the spouse or otherwise?
A: Yes - See non-angeler activities page.

Q: What is the currency exchange rate?
A: New Zealand measures money by the dollar.  The exchange rate averages 2:1

Q: Do we need to rent a car?
A: No.  Not as long as you are with Crikey Creek Guiding.  We will arrange transportation when your trip is complete.

Q: Do I need travel insurance?
A: Yes.

Q: What is the weather like in New Zealand?
A: Summertime in Nelson is a mild 70 to 80 degrees (F) on average, but New Zealand is an island and can change fast. Raingear is needed (see Equipment page)

Q: Is there access to the Internet?
A: Yes.

Q: What is the procedure for bringing a hunting rifle into the country?
A: Proper photo identification and proof of ownership of rifle.

Q: Can we keep trophy fish?
A: No.  Crikey Creek Guiding has a  catch-and-release policy.  However, photos can be taken and made into a beautiful synthetic mount.

Contact Us
Contact Us
Copyright © 2018. Moore Outfitters. This site maintained by Fisheye Internet Solutions & Hosting LLC
Moore Outfitters